Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fun with Energy

Little more science and a little less theory today. I've been playing around with those nifty nerd guns lately and figured I'd make a mention of it among other things. Later on I'll discuss a high efficiency electricity item. It's not quite over-unity or free energy as it's only about 86% efficient but it draws it's power from existing sources that are naturally abundant.

First the coil gun. My first attempts weren't noteworthy but at least successful. Using a few fancy techniques though I managed to get a slight levitation and spin on the slug slightly increasing velocity. I kind of mixed it with some rail gun ideas basically. I then managed to increase energy storage and output including an idea I'd use later by utilizing photo-reactive polymers on the gun to collect additional energy from the sun (very small but still usable) more importantly this electric charge created a worthy increase in the magnetic field also producing a kind of shield insulating the field directing it back in on itself substantially increasing the force. After a few revisions and an additional muzzle booster I got a 1.3 gram slug to travel at a velocity of 1,300 ft/s. That's faster than some normal bullets. The problem is it's only good for 2 shots then it has to recharge which can take a long time.

I'm playing with ideas to decrease power draw without sacrifice, aka increase efficiency. I've also made a secondary power clip for quick swaps. I'm working on a magazine and feeder for the gun as well. For the mean time though if I wanted to just run it back to back like crazy I found 2 decent gel cell batteries hooked up to it can provide it with enough power for quite a few shots. Ideally a kind of final product would be able to launch 1 to 5 gram slugs at rates of over 2500ft/s with the battery lasting for at least 20 to 30 shots if not more. My next upgrade in that department would probably be to lithium ion batteries or anything else more efficient I can find as well as an increased power generation method. Like a tiny portable energy generator (wishful thinking). I know it's all pointless because laser beam weapons will take over any day now but let me have my fun anyway. That and this tech might be useful in space battles! ... which will never happen.

For the next part I'll preface by first pointing out that to my knowledge "free energy" machines are pointless as the only few that do work can't be used for any worth while power and either require constant maintenance or have extreme limitations on capacities / uses. That having been said I've developed 2 items that produce energy one of which can be used for electricity the other simply for cooling. Neither are original tech just shall we say re-envisioned? Before you ask no I'm not posting diagrams I'm not selling and yes it's "fake" don't bother me about it. Primarily I say this because I showed a couple friends already and they're immediately screaming "free energy" etc and I won't be having that from the likes of the internet.

The first item is actually quite simple. It's a kind of passive radiator functioning on chemical reactions and thermodynamics. Ammonium nitrate when in the presence of certain porous metals like aluminum or pewter draw substantial heat away from the metal making it extremely cold. You can then use this with any liquid of your choosing in a tube to  siphon off heat. I developed it originally for my computer using a non newtonian ferro fluid and magnet system to create flow of the liquid through a radiator system submerged in the ammonium nitrate. The problem with this is it's a little corrosive and it just wasn't very cost effective. There was a certain level of maintenance and before you try this at home don't use an expensive radiator and have something have the container of the ammonium nitrate inside something plastic or glass, no metals. Non porous metals react with ammonium nitrate a little more violently producing heat. It is safe to use it won't explode on you but that doesn't mean your house might not burn down if you don't pay attention. Next up is important the fluid either must never stop moving or have a freezing point much below that of water. If you turn off your pump and let it sit, when you go to start it up again the ice crystals will wreck your entire system assuming they didn't do so already when they expanded. I suggest coating your tubing in something to prevent condensation as well, not really a problem but it's best to work preventative in this case. You can adopt this tech with additional non submerged radiators to distribute the cooling and collect additional heat. I made a small setup for one room using the same setup. I rigged basically a box on a wall with radiators on the top to transfer the thermal energies and the submerged radiators on the bottom to cool the liquid. This might even work with regular water if you inverted it making the cooling system up top forcing the cool water down and the hot water up for a nice cycle but don't quote me on it. On my computer system I noticed a 15 degree drop from where I already was with a very clear law of diminishing returns in place. I was using 1 liter of liquid ammonium nitrate transfering energy through a 120X320mm radiator and it took me 3 days to accomplish that before the temp would remain stable under normal load. Once I set it up in the room, I'd also point out now that this was before I realized the corrosive nature of this setup, I noticed a 40+ degree drop in temperature in the room after 2 days. I went from around 80 to 90 degrees to right around freezing. In this case I was using a home build radiator measuring around 6 inches wide by 12 feet long by maybe 3 inches deep submerged at the bottom and a similar one not submerged up top. I'm unsure how much liquid ammonium nitrate I was using in this case.


The second item on the list is kind of an amalgamation of various ideas. it uses naturally occurring harmonic resonation, wave form manipulation, gravity, inertia, momentum, and magnetism to generate a respectable amount of energy. To make an additional note the reason for this device is efficiency. Conversions methods for example photo-voltaic solar cells are inefficient of perhaps only 30% though admittedly I'm not sure of the exact number. So this is just for a higher conversion of existing tech. I get more volts out this way than traditional methods basically.

A little history really the only major change is that this was originally using a traditional coupler with lots of friction and heat that I went so far as to even submerge part of it in oil and use it for a small steam generator not wanting to waste energy. Now I use a frictionless magnetic coupler. Back then gravity was the prime mover and I used magnetic forces to increase rpm through momentum. Since then I've also gone frictionless using an elaborate system of powerful N52 magnets for keeping the whole system floating and frictionless with secondary correctors to keep it from going sideways and just flying out.

So to start things out, while N52 magnets are what's used to keep this thing floating that's all they really do here is relieve the weight of this thing which by estimation is probably in the range of 1600 to 2000 pounds because I can't afford light weight materials and carbon nanotubes. More on those in a minute. So while it's free floating a series of switches adjust weights rigged on the outside of this circular object making one side heavier than the other at all times. This gets you started. I'm adjusting these right now to allow for much faster speeds than what I'm currently getting. Harder than it sounds really as I need to tighten the weights down when they're not supposed to move more than what they are to keep them from moving outward from the speed, while also allowing them to move quicker when they are meant to move because they're staying in the same place too long before going where they should. I then use angled carbon nanotubes to form disturbingly powerful electromagnets to prove rotational assistance to the wheel. They are extremely expensive by the way and account for almost all of my entire budget. The power draw for them is less than 1/4 of the output of the wheel spinning on gravity alone and they are hooked up in an array so that 3 of these are pushing the wheel for every 1 that's pulling. The wheel however can't have that same setup and instead also uses N52's in fixed positions. I use additional rods treating the whole wheel almost like a flywheel to increase rpm further. To clarify there's a central pillar which at either end has a magnetic coupling turned generator collecting energy from all these rpms. I can safely let it run just like this and get 600rpm all day. However if I increase power to the nanotubes which can handle so much more and have so much room left for output I can make it to about 800rpm before problems really start to arise. They are hit and miss in the middle ground but they never happen at 600. Hence the reason I'm trying to correct them before my next plans. I have plans to further improve power output and hopefully increase efficiency. I plan on using the naturally large size of it to collect abundant energy in the air a kind of ionic to electromagnetic induction. I then plan to further improve it with a combination of harmonic resonation and wave form manipulation to accelerate it further.

Right now I'm contemplating more magnets with the weights to replace the toggle system rapidly forcing the weight into a specific place / location though it doesn't seem like it would work or would require substantial re-designs. Perhaps a small piston system with a computer controlled pressure system? Furthermore to collect as much as we can a photo-reactive coating of the entire system to collect as much additional solar as we could during daylight hours. clearly though the free falling methods currently used don't work in higher rpms and as I get this thing going faster and faster it'll become more important to make sure the weights transition as quickly and cleanly as possible and don't slip out of line. Right now I can power a few basic things but in quick tests of just rapidly pushing it to 800rpm before it starts freaking out I can see where it could probably power my computer which is considerable. I've clearly not told you everything so good luck trying to build it on your own. Perhaps when it's all said and done I'll do something crazy like blast it all over the net once I get some real power out of it but probably not even then considering I enjoy living still, not quite ready to start the zombie apocalypse. Because absolutely nothing, not even death could stop me from playing my holiday games list. I'm going to play last of us and borderlands 2 at the very least.

Hope you got some good ideas out of the lengthy write up. Now go make a coil gun for science.

No comments:

Post a Comment